Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Reading Diary B: Narayan's Mahabharata

Lots of dying and lots of killing. I just don't love stories that have this much war and violence in them. I just didn't feel like there was anything else to the story. One by one the brothers dye. I don't think I should find the story of Krishna's death humorous but I did. Who mistakes someone's feet as birds feet. I just think that is strange. I don't think there is a story there for me.

Depiction of the Mahabharata

Maybe what I can do is work with Parikshit. He carries on the Pandava line. He is th eking of Hastinapura. Maybe I can tell either his story. I could also do a bed time story when he is a young child and tell the story of the Pandavas, or at least part of the story. I don't think this book overall gave me a lot to work with in my theme which is disappointment. I wasn't able to connect with this characters.

Maybe I could tell a grieving story. There is a lot of grief in this story, so maybe I can tell how one of them is coping with it. Maybe I could change the setting to a woman who has lost a husband at war and is left behind with his children. I could have the military send her a letter of what happened and work with that.

Reference:
Mahabharata Reading Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment