Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Reading Diary A: Narayan's Mahabharata

I understand that this is the start of a new book but I am having a hard time keeping all the characters straight. So there is Dhritarashtra the blind one. Pandu the pale one. And Vindura the one without a flaw. Pandu is cursed and one of his wives has a mantra to get to sleep with the gods. She did a trial run and had a child with the Sun God named Karna, she puts him in a river.

Pandu gets Yudhishthira (Yama and Kunti), Bhima (Vayu and Kunti), Arjuna (Indra and Kunti) and Shadeva and Nakula (twins from Ashwins and Madri)

Pandu sleeps with Madri and both die.

They go to live with Dhritarashtra. They have problem with their cousins (I think there is like a hundred of them). They all get trained. Then there is the contest to show off their skills and Karna comes and challenges Arjuna. I think Karna is the first son, the one of the son god.

Pandavas exiled, their family tries to kill them, they escape through a hole in the ground.

Ok I think I understand the story from here.
Draupadi and her 5 husbands

I think the story of Draupadi is an interesting one. She now has to share five husbands which hasn't happened before. I wonder what her thought process was. I wonder if she was happy or upset that this was her fate. I know she used to be Nalayani and was married to a sage and he slept with her as five different men. But he left and she prayed and now that's why in this life she has five husbands. But does she know about her other life? If she doesn't then I can imagine her being upset about this whole ordeal. But I'm not 100% sure.

Reference:
Narayan's Mahabharata

No comments:

Post a Comment