Monday, September 28, 2015

Reading Diary A: Narayan's Mahabharata

So overall, I am still just having a hard time connecting with this story as I did with the Ramayana. I found the story of the brothers going to the lake interesting. Impatience got most of them killed, but in the end it was a test. I'm not sure how I can use that story with the theme of my portfolio but maybe there is something there. 

I also like the story of essentially the rape of Draupadi. What I found interesting was the first husband that she went to didn't really help her at all or take interest in what happened to her. I also thought it was interested that the queen was concerned with her wellbeing, I don't imagine queens being worried about something like this.

Kichaka and Draupadi

I want to find something in this story to get excited about and it just hasn't happened for me yet. In the first story I mentioned I like the fact that the brothers are brought back to life again and all of them are blessed. I personally would have just blessed the brother who did what he was supposed to but not the others. One thing I liked about the Ramayana was that there was a break between all the pain and fighting, there was always something exciting going on. But this story is very depressing. Make I can work with the depressing feeling a make a story out of it.

Reference:
Mahabharata Reading Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment