Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Reading Diary A: Narayan's Ramayana

I enjoyed the story of Jatayu. I am kind of a bird fanatic, so that is part of the reason I really enjoyed this story. I was sad that he died in the end. I also liked the story of his brother and that hearing the name Rama fixed his wings.

I struggle with the story of Vali and Sugriva. I don't think Rama should have killed Vali. Vali clearly had a lot of respect for Rama and Rama should have used this power that he had to go and talk to Vali for his brother Sugriva instead of killing him. And although Vali agrees that Rama did not act wrongfully, I still think Rama could have handled the situation better. He might have been able to restore the relationship with the two brothers. I would have tried that first before killing Vali.

The Killing of Vali
Web source: Wikimedia Commons


I really like that Rama could describe Sita in such a way that she would be recognizable. I know I could describe my best friend in great detail, but I doubt that someone would be able to easily pick her out in a crowd. So I am impressed with how Rama was able to describe her. I also like that he gave his ring as a sign for her to know it is him. I am not sure if this is a wedding ring, or just a normal ring. I like to imagine it as a wedding ring. That is so symbolic and to me, the ultimate sign to her that her husband is coming to save her.

Reference:
The Ramayana by R. K Narayan 
Ramayana Reading Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment