Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Reading Diary B: Narayan's Mahabharata

I'm still having a hard time with this story. I'm having a hard time finding anything I enjoy in it yet. And I think that is because I am having such a hard time keeping all the characters straight. I am mostly drawn to the stories about Draupadi. I think a lot can be written about having 5 husbands. Like how Arjuna was exiled after intruding on Yudhishthira and Draupadi during the year she was married to him. I think you could write a story about this but with someone having 5 possessions. Like having 5 kittens.

So eventually then get a city and Yudhishthira is the king. They have like a hall for optical illusions and make fun of Duryohana. Which probably wasn't the smartest choice.

Yudhishthira is challenged to a game of dice. Loses everyone. Then he gambles Draupadi although she is on her time of the month. I like the story of her robe. She ends up getting three wishes. She wishes for Yudhishthira to be free, then her other four husbands to be free. She declines a third wish. At this point I would wish to be out of there.

They go back and gamble. Maybe write about gambling problems and then they are exiled again. They get an endless supply of food in a copper bowl from Surya.

Arjuna turns down the advances of Urvashi. So he is now a eunuch, but in the end it is supposed to be a blessing.
Urvashi Curses Anjurna

Overall, I had a hard time following this part of the book. I hope I begin to enjoy the story more.

Reference:
Mahabharata Reading Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment