Thursday, September 17, 2015

Storytelling Week 4: What Happened to Sita?

On this episode of the Ramayana we pick up where we left off last week. After last week's episode you took to the internet leaving thousands of comments. You wanted to know was that really the end of Ramayana. You were angry at us and thought that was the end. Well we are here to tell you tonight that the story isn't over. Welcome back folks let's begin.

Narrator: When we left Sita she had just proven her faithfulness to Rama by returning to the womb of Mother Earth. We pick up now with Sita in the realm of the gods with Mother Earth.

Sita: Mother Earth, I know I should feel so happy, being in the realm of the gods but I miss Rama so much. He was my everything. And I look down on the other humans in relationships like Rama and I's and I want to help. I don't want them to suffer like I did.
Mother Earth: Sita my child, you are of such pure heart. I know you miss Rama, but he did not see your purity. But you can't stay here with us forever, so we want to give you a job.
Sita: A job?
Mother Earth: Yes a job. We want you to go to the human world and be the intervener.
Sita: What do you mean?
Mother Earth: Go to the heart broken couples Sita, the ones who are grieve stricken and guide them. The humans will respect you, they will know who you are. Everyone will know who you are. Now go. Return after every couple in the world has been healed.

Narrator: With that Sita was gone. She flew done to earth like a falling star. She went to couple after couple in every corner of the earth to help them with their pained relationships. She enjoyed her job at first. But as the weeks began to pass things became unbearable.

Sita: Oh Rama! Why couldn't you have believed me? I worshiped you! I never looked at any man aside from you!

Narrator: Sita wept every night. There was nothing that could ease her pain. Her tears brought a year long rainy season all across the world. But one day Sita ran across a couple named Sarah and Benjamin. She had come to fix their problems. Sarah had cheated on Benjamin and Sita knew that Benjamin was going to leave her or do something worse, so she was coming to intervene. But before she could intervene she listened to their conversation.

Benjamin: Sarah, I know what you did. What you did broke my heart.
Sarah: Benjamin, I am so sorry! I love you and I didn't mean to do it! It'll never happen again, I promise.
Benjamin: I appreciate your promise Sarah, but...
Sarah: No Benjamin don't do this!

Narrator: Sita was about to stop the fight when all of a sudden Benjamin said.

Benjamin: Sarah I know you didn't mean it. I know you won't do it again. The road from here won't be easy, but we are worth it. I love you with all of my heart and I will not let you go. We can work through this. We might crash in the end, that depends on how much work we both but into this, but I'm willing to commit if you are.

Narrator: Sita was in shock.

Sita: How can a man say something like that? How can he forgive her? She actually cheated on him. I didn't even cheat on Rama and he still wanted nothing to do with me. I was the most loyal and pure woman to ever walk to earth. Why couldn't he trust me like Benjamin trusts Sarah?

Narrator: Sita's perspective of Rama changed after that. She respected him as the father of her two sons and she would always love him for that, but she stopped crying. The world experienced peace and abundance that was unprecedented. Now you might be wandering what happened to Rama. He was doing well. Married someone new and they had a few children together. But one day they had a terrible fight and the intervener came.

Sita: Hello, my name is Sita I have been sent by the gods on a special...Rama?
Rama: Sita?
Sita: I didn't know that I was coming to help you. Who is this?
Rama: This is my wife Rebecca. Sita I have so much I want to say to you. I still love you, I should have never doubted you. I should have known you would always be true to me. I was a fool.
Rebecca: Excuse me?
Sita: Rama, Rebecca I am here to help you both. But to do that I need to say something to Rama first. Rama you are right. You should have known. You shouldn't have tested me the first time with the fire and you shouldn't have tested me a second time. But now you don't get to test me anymore. Rama I loved you and now I have forgiven you. I have nothing but the highest regard for you, but I honestly deserve better than you. So, let me do my job and help you and your wife. Learn from your mistakes and be better to her.

Narrator: So Sita gave Rama and Rebecca advice and they had a beautiful marriage. Sita was able to watch both of her sons get married and have successful relationships. Sita never remarried. But she was happy. There was always a new couple to help and Sita was never lonely. She found what her heart truly desired.

Author's Note: 
My reading for this week was the movie Sita Sings the Blues. This movie had a slightly modern twist to it so I wanted to add more modern flare to this story. I again wanted to focus on Sita. I wrote my story as if it were a story in a television series and I wanted to tell the story of what happened to Sita after Rama. I honestly don't picture Sita doing this, but it would be cool if she did. I think she should stand up for herself and this was my way of exploring that idea.

Bibliography:
Sita Sings the Blues. Nina Paley. 2008. Web.

2 comments:

  1. Hayley, I love the idea of having a narrator to help tell your story! I also loved how you included the little part about having different episodes each week! I think this creativeness to keep the stories ongoing and flowing together will help in writing your final storybook project, so keep up with the clever ideas! I think it was really neat how you did not picture Sita standing up for herself, but you decided to explore the idea anyways because you thought it would be interesting! This is how creative ideas are born!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The episodic style of your story was really interesting, Hayley! I like the idea that Sita figured out something to do while Rama was off galavanting in the world of the living. I wasn't a fan that Rama remarried, but then I suppose he has a right to be happy as well. Excellent writing choice to have him move on, though, and for Sita to find closure in that moment. I really enjoyed reading your story! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete