Monday, October 26, 2015

Reading Diary A: Buck's Ramayana

It is so nice to be reading the Ramayana again. I have really enjoyed working with this story this semester and I am excited to continue to explore it in Buck's version. I like the opening address, I think it is a good way to introduce the Ramayana. I think this could be a good storytelling technique. I think it is funny that Sauti has just finished telling the Mahabharata, and will now talk about the Ramayana, which we have read both.

I like the way the story begins with Balmiki having to go help Sita. I think about the movie I watched where the poet teaches Rama's boys about him and the boys sing essentially a nursery rhyme about him. Now the story of Rama begins.

I find origen stories and stories that have long beginnings boring so this part of the book was hard to read.

Let's see I like the story of Ahalya. I liked it the first time I read the Ramayana. I think this is a good foreshadowing of all the good Rama is going to do.

My favorite part of this reading was, no surprise, when Rama marries Sita. Rama and the bow story reminds me of Odysseus when he returns to his home and the suitors are there. I could maybe write a story comparing those two.



Reading Guide: Ramayana Reading Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment