Monday, August 31, 2015

Reading Diary A: Narayan's Ramayana

One story that I really found interesting was Ahalya's story. A god named Brahma made a perfectly beautiful woman and she was named Ahalya. She was married to Sage Gautama because Brahma appreciated his pure heart and mind. However, a god named Indra infatuated over her. So he made himself look like her husband and slept with her. Gautama returned and found them. He cursed Indra and made his body be covered in female organs and he turned Ahalya into a stone. But she would turn human again when Rama passes. To me this story has a lot of elements to it. It has respect, lust, deception, betrayal and redemption. This short story is very complicated.

Ahalya Emerges From Stone Form 
Web source: Wikipedia

I was also fascinated by how distressed princess Sita became after seeing Rama. I mean I understand he must have been good looking, but her reaction seemed a little extreme. But on the other hand, I respect love. I like Rama's reaction much better. He kept himself together in public, but then began to think about the girl.

The last bit of this reading was heartbreaking to me. The drastic change in Kaikeyi from supporting and being happy for Rama becoming King to wanting him banished was shocking. The king completely shut down, which was shocking for a King. In modern society I feel like we don't take our promises seriously, so its interesting to watch a King being held to a promise.

I also have so much respect for how Rama handled his change of fate. This shows his character. He is a man truly deserving honor.

Reference:
The Ramayana by R. K. Narayan 
Ramayana Reading Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment