Monday, August 24, 2015

Overview of Indian Epics

When I first signed up for this class I really did not know what to expect. I was under the impression that I knew absolutely nothing about this subject. However, I might not be as in the dark as I was expecting to be. I am a Letters Major and a Classical Culture Minor. I have taken a class on Greek Mythology and I am currently taking a class called Gods and Heroes in Epic. So I am familiar with the genre. Just in terms of what I have studied in college, I am most familiar with and most comfortable with the mythology of Ancient Greece and Rome. I am excited to see what role myth plays in other cultures.

During my first year at OU I took a class called Comparative Religions. I know in that class we discussed Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam in depth. That was over two years ago so I do not recall a lot of information from the class, but I am sure I will remember things as the semester goes on.

Ravana and His Court

While browsing through the images on the Indian Epics Images site, this picture stood out to me. I am not sure if that is because I have seen this image before, or what exactly. But it did strike me. 

Although I am familiar with the genre and I am acquainted with the culture, this is a fairly new field for me. I am excited to see what I learn this semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment