Thursday, November 19, 2015

Storytelling Week 13: The Story of How I Made it Rain




*Ten years earlier*

"Hey, Ted, what are you doing, buddy?"
"I'm dancing, Marshall!" Ted replied, continuing to make dance moves the resembled a dying chicken.
"Bro, why are you dancing on the roof of our apartment?"
"Because Robin can't go on the office camping trip."
"Why not, Ted?"
"Because if she goes on that trip she will date that loser, Sandy Rivers, and I can't have that. I love her Marshall!"
"But why are you dancing?"
"I'm gonna make it rain!"

*Present day*

"Let me explain, kids. I was in love with your Aunt Robin for a long time. Sandy Rivers had just asked Robin on a date, but I told her I loved her, again. Robin was going to have to go on that date with Sandy Rivers as long as they still had their company camping trip. If it rained, then they wouldn't have the trip. So I was doing a traditional rain dance to stop the rain."
"Dad, that's stupid," Said Ted's daughter.
"But at the time I felt like a warrior fighting for true love."

*Ten years earlier*

"Ted, you look stupid."
"Thanks, Marshall."
"Why do you think you can make it rain?"
"Well, I read a book called the Ramayana the other day, and let me say it was a great read. The plot line is so deep and the characters..."
"Ted, just get to the point." Marshall replied, cutting Ted off.
"Oh yeah, anyway, there was this big battle between Ravana and Rama because Ravana had stolen Rama's wife Sita. And at a point in the battle, Ravana did a dance under the stars to cause a wind storm. So I figured, if Ravana can do it, so can I."

*Present day*

"Oh dad..." Both of the kids lowered their faces and shook their heads.

*Ten years earlier*

"Oh Ted..." Marshall replied while lowering his face and shaking his head.
Ted ignored him and kept dancing.
"Ted, you really don't think those stories are true, do you? I mean come one, buddy? If you just watch the weather report you'd know there is absolutely no chance it is going to rain today."
"I know that, Marshall, that is why I am dancing. If Ravana can cause a wind storm, I can cause a rain storm."

Then there was a quiet rumble.

"What was that?" Asked Marshall.
"Why, Marshall, could that be thunder you hear?"

There was another rumble, but it was louder this time. Then there was a big boom followed by a big strike of lightening.

"Come inside, Ted, you're gonna die out here."
"Not yet, not until it rains."

Then one drop fell. Followed by three more, then twenty, then a hundred. Thousands of little drops fell from the sky.

"I made it rain Marshall! I really made it rain! Look, look it's raining!"
"Ok, ok, ok, it is raining, now please come inside."

*Present day*

"So, I went inside. I was soaked. But then I ran out our front door, hopped into a taxi, and went to see your Aunt Robin. That is the day your Aunt Robin became my girlfriend, and this is just the beginning of how I became the man I needed to be before I met your mother. So that, kids, is the story of how I made it rain."

Author's Note:
So in this class I have written a lot of serious stories, and I wanted to play around with something that had some fun in it. I love the show How I Met Your Mother, and if you haven't seen it I'm sorry but you should really go see it. Like now. Great show. Anyway, as I read the Ramayana I saw how Ravana did a dance to cause a wind storm, which reminded me of a How I Met Your Mother episode where Ted does a dance to make it rain. I had a lot of fun adding in the Ramayana to this scene. It was also a lot of fun to play with characters that have already been developed. I was inspired also by a storybook project that was done in years past. The theme for that storybook was How I Met Your Mother. I hope you enjoy it!

Bibliography:
Ramayana by Buck 2000.

Image Information
How I Met Your Mother

2 comments:

  1. Hayley!
    I think that How I Met Your Mother was the perfect show to add for this story. I think it added a humorous flavor that made the story really fun to read. Your story was really easy to read and the transition from past to present worked really well. I especially liked the commentary with the kids, it was adorable. Really good job this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hayley,

    Awesome take with the how I met your mother. You took a simple part of a story and turned it into something more. I really enjoyed reading it. The back and forth between present day and flashback was great. While I was reading it I was thinking of how it would actually look in the show. Light hearted story.

    ReplyDelete